NZ DIPLOMA REMEDIAL MASSAGE LEVEL 6
Our Diploma in Remedial Massage, approved and accredited by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, is designed for students who wish to become practitioners of Massage Techniques. The programme, delivered over a period of 36 weeks, follows a full-time study 1-year pathway comprising a total of 120 credits at Level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
The aim of this Diploma Qualification is to provide the local community with graduates who are able to apply evidence-based knowledge, ability and skills to assess, plan, implement and evaluate remedial massage therapy interventions to address musculoskeletal dysfunction and other common health conditions for a broad range of clients in a safe healthcare context.
Graduates will be capable to work independently and within the scope of practice defined by remedial massage and will be able to communicate and refer with remedial massage therapists, allied health, wellness and medical professionals for those specialist services.
Graduates of this qualification:
- Are able to constructively apply knowledge and skills of biomedical behaviour and psychosocial dimensions of healthcare social sciences in the provision of services for improved health and rehabilitation through remedial massage techniques and interventions to treat a variety of musculoskeletal and other system conditions.
- Apply knowledge of neuro-musculoskeletal anatomy and relevant surface anatomy to provide theoretical and practical foundation for remedial massage techniques and interventions.
- Utilise underpinning knowledge of massage therapy practice history of massage; body mechanics and practitioner self-care practices; principles of massage therapy; evidence based effects of massage therapy (including indications and contra-indications); stress and wellness theory; stress management; scope of practice; boundaries; ethical considerations; skills and values to engage with the process of developing as a professional healthcare practitioner in the New Zealand context; including knowledge of client assessment, history taking/interviewing, communication and listening.
- Will be proficient to industry standards in delivering manual massage therapies: movement, integration and reflexology and effective in evaluation, reassessment and reflection of treatment plans for individual clients.
- Apply knowledge of the human musculoskeletal system that gives humans the ability to move and provides form, support, stability and movement to the body.
- Are able to manage a massage therapy clinic and work in autonomous roles demonstrating mastery in remedial interventions with clients selecting and applying a range of professional, self-management, communication and client service knowledge and skills.
Entry Requirements – Domestic Students
Students intending to apply for the New Zealand Diploma in Remedial Massage Level 5 must be a minimum of 18 years of age, have passed at least 60 credits at NCEA Level 2 in one year or equivalent preferably including Biology and have no communicable diseases, physical or psychological impairments which may adversely affect their ability to undertake the programme of study or work with people in a clinical setting.
Applicants must be able to communicate competently in English and will be required to undergo an interview to confirm their suitability for this programme.
Applicants must hold the New Zealand Diploma in Wellness and Relaxation Massage Level 5 Qualification with NZQA Ref #2740 or must be able to demonstrate international/national equivalent qualification that has been endorsed by professional membership or currency of status through annual practising certificates.
Entry Requirements – International Students
International Students intending to apply for the New Zealand Diploma in Wellness and Relaxation Massage Level 5 must be a minimum of 18 years of age, have passed at least 60 credits at NCEA Level 2 in one year or equivalent preferably including Biology and have no communicable diseases, physical or psychological impairments which may adversely affect their ability to undertake the programme of study or work with people in a clinical setting.
Applicants must be able to communicate competently in English and will be required to undergo an interview to confirm their suitability for this programme. International students whose first language is not English, must have a minimum overall IELTS (Academic) score of 5.5 with no band lower than 5.0 or equivalent evidence of English language proficiency.
Complete all immigration requirements and have a valid student visa.
Submit evidence of appropriate medical and travel insurance.
Graduates will obtain the latest New Zealand registered qualification (with international recognition with NZQA partner countries) in the complementary medicine industry sector and open the door to a wide range of jobs.
Graduates who successfully complete this Diploma Qualification are qualified to work as Remedial Massage Therapists in a broad range of wellness and relaxation massage settings including home-based massage therapy, mobile clinics, community-based massage therapy clinics, multi-disciplinary clinics and sports settings (non-injury work) and stress management education.
Other opportunities include ski-fields, gymnasiums, cruise ships, tourism, spas, resorts, hotels, on-site corporate, rest homes, rehabilitation centres and allied health professional practice such as musculoskeletal specialists.
Bachelor Degree in Massage Therapy Level 7
Bachelor of Heatlh Studies (Massage and Neuromuscular Therapy) Level 7
Further study can also be taken in aromatherapy, reflexology and beauty spa therapies.